Lentil De Provence Soup
This is a refreshing take on lentil soup. Bursting with flavor & easy to make! This soup blows away the traditional lentil soup…not that there is anything wrong with it…it is one of my favorites but this is a new way to enjoy lentils in your soup. Herbs De Provence is a beautiful blend of herbs (thyme, marjoram, savory, rosemary, basil, sage, lavender) from the Mediterranean. Its better to use less than more …the lavender can give off a soapy taste.
¼ cup EVOO
1 white onion, small dice
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 carrots, scrubbed peeled & small dice
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon herbs de Provence
1 cup green lentils
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
1 bunch kale, destemmed, chopped thin
To Taste Salt & Pepper
Juice of 1 lemon
- Add olive oil to large pot over medium high heat. Once hot add onions & garlic. Cook until aromatic* about 2 minutes
- Add carrots & mix well. Cook for a few minutes
- Then add drained diced tomatoes, ground cumin & herbs de Provence. Mix well. Light season with salt & pepper
- Add lentils mixing together
- Add broth & water. Bring to boil. Then cover & lower to a simmer
- Cook until lentils are tender (30-45 min)
- When done stir in chopped kale. Adjust seasoning.
- At time of serving add lemon squeeze.
CHEF’S TIPS & TRICKS
- *Aromatic- you should smell the sweet & toasted scent of onions & garlic in olive oil. It’s also one of my favorite smells!
- Make sure when you purchase lentils they are not fast cooking lentils- cook for at least 30+ minutes. You want the time to develop more flavors & thicken the soup.