VEGAN CORN CHOWDER
This corn chowder just warms my soul! It’s super easy to make and its extra hearty for those winter days. Make sure you read Chef’s Tips & Tricks I talk about using DF & GF substitutes. Now go ahead, curl up on your couch with fuzzy socks, a good movie, and this chowder.
2 oz vegan butter
1/2 white onion, small dice
2 oz Flour (can sub GF flour)
8 cups organic corn kernels, divided
2 LB potatoes, medium dice
3 celery, small dice
2 red bell peppers, small dice
4 scallions, thin slice white & green separate
2 qt vegetable broth
2 tablespoons arrowroot
2 tablespoons water
4 cups almond or coconut milk, beverage, plain & unsweetened
TT Salt & Pepper
- In a large stock pot over medium high heat add butter until melted. Add onions cooking until it becomes transparent & aromatic.
- Then add flour. Stir and mix to make a compound roux. Cook until blonde in color about 3-6 minutes.
- Add 1/2 the amount of corn, potatoes, celery, bell peppers, white scallions, & vegetable broth. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, in blender puree rest of corn with nondairy milk. Make slurry: mix arrowroot with water. Set both aside.
- Once soup is simmering add corn mixture & slurry. Simmer until potatoes are tender about 20-25 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning, top off with green scallions, & enjoy!
CHEF’S TIPS & TRICKS
- Every version of GF flour is way different and cooks differently. I stick to using Bob’s Red Mill GF all purpose baking flour. It substitutes perfectly with all-purpose flour. Helps eliminate doing any kitchen math. #Winning!
- Arrowroot works the same as corn starch. I use it in this recipe because non-dairy milks don’t thicken up as good as dairy products will. This slurry ensure soup will be creamy. Always add at the end of cooking time. The longer it cooks it loses its thickening properties.